Saturday, August 31, 2013

Preparedness: Intro

So, confession time. I love prepping. Yes, I mean the food, water, money, resource building prepping for a disaster kind of prepping. It is a dirty little secret that I share with very few people. I love the analytical planning and calculations. I love making up scenarios and trying to think out of the box about how to overcome the obstacles. I love knowing that I have created some security for my family's future.

When I first heard about prepping a few years ago, I thought it was just the people on TV with their bunkers and hand guns saying when the earth goes into chaos they will shoot anyone who steps foot on their land. Or hoarders with piles of junk that "could" be repurposed into something else when the world collapse into chaos. Images of the movie "Blast from the Past" springs to my mind. 

However, as time passed, I realized that, like all things, there are different levels to prepping and different motivations to prep. 

I started to prep when I moved to Florida. It was just to prepare for hurricane season, at first. That is how I sold the idea to my family. Hearing the horror stories of post hurricane survival was eye opening. Even in that, there are different levels. Stories ranging from no power for a month, walking miles to get ice and water in 90 degree temps, no gas at gas stations. Then stories of, we got alcohol and cigarettes and hulled up at the bar to wait it out and the big party afterwards to barbecue all of the meat before it went bad. All of these stories left an impression on my family in different ways but we all agreed that having spare supplies on hand would be a good idea.

I have not been in a hurricane yet, let alone experiencing life after one. I thought of the scenarios that could occur based on the afore mentioned horror stories/party stories and started prepping to make my family as comfortable as possibly and try to avoid the rush at the market for last minute items.

My prepping has grown from hurricane prepping to an economic rainy day preparedness. I started that transition when my mom became sick and watching the recent TV shows based on the world after catastrophes (no power, zombies, epidemics). I am trying to create a buffer in case there is an interruption in my income. I do think that we could go into another depression at some point as a nation/world, but I prep mainly for personal income reasons. 

My prepping is a little adjusted because I am not in a permanent residence yet. It is not land that I own and we might be moving, so I can't go crazy with tons of food and water storage at this time. Each person's situation is different. So, I am going to have different focuses on prepping and give different ideas. Some of those ideas I have personally used, some I would like to do when my situation changes, and some that I would not foresee using but might be good for someone else.

My methods might not be perfect for you, but I hope it gets you thinking of ways to insure your families well being for  whatever the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment