Sunday, October 20, 2013

Cooking: Pot Roast

One of my family's staples is pot roast. It is really easy to make, not too much of an active time commitment, and makes a great amount of food.

Everyone has their own way of making pot roast. I have heard of red wine being added, cutting slits in it and pushing garlic in the slits, etc.

This is the method that my family trusts pretty well:

1) Sear the pot roast in a cast iron skillet. Before I sear it, I salt and pepper liberally on all sides. Then I coat in all purpose flour. Get cast iron skillet hot over medium high heat. Add a layer of canola oil to just coat the bottom of the skillet and let it get hot for a moment. Then add the pot roast. Let sear a couple of minutes on each side to get a good crusty coat (not burned though). Don't forget to sear all the sides. 

2) Pour 2 containers of beef broth in the crock pot. Add the pot roast meat. I generally try to allow a total of 2 hours per pound of meat on medium heat. My crock pot has 4 settings; 4, 6, 8, 10 hrs. I place the crock pot on 8 hours.

3) I let it cook until there are about 4 hours to go. It is time to add the veggies.  I half the red potatoes after washing them and add them to the crock pot. Wash the baby carrots and add to the crock pot. Quarter cut the onion and separate the slices and add to the crock pot. Add salt. You want to add more stock if needed. The stock should cover the meat and let the veggies soak too. Stir and then let it work its magic. 

4) Test at around 5-6 hours. If the meat is fork tender but the veggies aren't, then take the meat out and lightly foil it. I leave it on the counter for a bit to cool. If the veggies are going to take a long time, I place the meat in the refrigerator until about 30 min to dinner time. Then I add the meat back in to warm up.

I generally serve this with some sweet honey cornbread. I buy a boxed mix version right now until I can find a good from scratch version that tastes as good. 

Here is what I figure the cost should be (minus cornbread):
 
2.5 lb pot roast=$15
1 bag Baby Carrots=$2
1 bag Red Potatos=$4
1 onion=$1
3 containers of premium beef broth=$6
Total=$28 (high estimate)/9 hearty servings
$3.11 per serving 


No comments:

Post a Comment